Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Parliament House

Time started: 11:36pm
Place: My room
Weather: A little stuffy but not too bad
Mood: Drained X_x;;
I'm not going to talk about me working for 15 hours today because that would just be incredibly boring so I'll just talk about the parliament house today. Hopefully this will for once be a short blog.

I left the café at half past one and set foot to the parliament house which was about a 10 minute walk away. When I walked into the entrance I was feeling slightly intimidated by all the guards and baggage checks and surveilance cameras. It felt like I was in "Border Security". I showed one of the guards my invite and he told me to sit and wait at the main hall so I did so. Soon some more people with the same invite as me came in. Everyone else who was there were at least 40 :/. I felt alienated. What am I doing here? I didn't know yet. The madam speaker lady led the group of us to the court room and educated us a little about opposition parties discuss topics of the law here. Then we were led upstairs to this concealed by glass room to watch the politicians walk in, sit down, and debate. I thought it was going to be boring but it was thoroughly amusing. I personally knew Claire Martin (the chief minister of the Norther Territory) and Kon Vadskalis (the sports & recreations minister of the NT) through their sons. This was the first time I ever saw them as politicians. They were members of the Australian Labour Party (ALP). The opposition leader of the Central Liberal Party (CLP) was quite argumentative and sarcastic. She threw a million questions at Claire Martin and annoyed the heck out of the madam speaker getting her to shout "Order, order!" a few dozen times lol. I swear, if there wasn't this huge gap between the opposite parties, they would've strangled one another. The topic most discussed today was about to road laws of the Northern Territory. The NT has the worst road deaths and accidents statistics in Australia by far and possibly the world. On Sunday a 17 year old male died while he was driving to Katherin. He was thrown off his vehicle and his car was engulfed in flames. It's sad... :(
Even though it was amusing watching the politicians shout their hate messages across the room, the debate did have an impact on me. It made me realise how very real it was that a Territorean died on the road every week...hopefully with the new laws there will be less to no deaths in the future.
After watching the politicians unleash their inner angry beasts upon each other, Kent, the security guard gave us a tour around the parliament house. The state library was beautiful! I wish I could go there everyday. The art galleries were cool too, although they kinda freaked me out...all these paintings of old men 10 times your size just gazing down on you...
After our tour we had afternoon tea. I tried peppermint tea for the first time because I was curious to what it would taste like. It was quite nice but Earl Grey or Chrysanthemum is still my fave. They had chocolate chip cookies ^^ :dance: :heart:.
We finished at 3:30pm, then I walked to the bus depot and took my half hour ride home to get ready to work at Ming Court as quickly as possible.

Okay, so this entry isn't as short as I'd hope for it to be but it's an improvement...right?! AN IMPROVEMENT BY MORE THAN 2 LINES...RIGHT?!?!?!? I hope so. I'll shut up now.

Love you lots! :hug: :heart:
Time finished: 1:31am
Weather: Slightly cooler
Mood: Bubbly

1 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

let's pppparty, sis !

Friday, December 01, 2006 10:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home